Roku is a streaming device that offers viewers access to a whole collection of TV channels, especially for viewers in the US. For those living outside of US will have a limited number of channels to enjoy, but by using the best VPN for Roku, non-US viewers from anywhere can access all those US-specific channels and more, and enjoy streaming on their Roku device. Roku doesn’t allow VPN installation, however, there are various methods through which you can setup FastestVPN on Roku and enjoy streaming US TV channels from anywhere. This guide explains the best ways to instantly setup VPN on Roku. Keep reading to find out how.
- 1 Why do I need a VPN for ROKU?
- 2 How to Install VPN on Roku?
Why do I need a VPN for ROKU?
A VPN is essential not only to protect your online privacy but also to access geo-restricted content, especially on streaming devices like Roku. And as you know, if you live outside of US, you only get the limited number of channels to access due to geo-restrictions. It is one of the main reasons why you must get a VPN if you want to experience unlimited streaming on Roku without restrictions. FastestVPN is of the best VPN for Roku because of its fastest VPN servers that are optimized for smooth streaming.
How to Install VPN on Roku?
Since Roku does not support VPN client and configuration, you can’t directly setup a VPN on your Roku device. Therefore you will have to look for an alternative way to setup VPN on Roku. There is two alternative way you can setup the best VPN for Roku and unblock US-specific TV Channels. You do that by:
- Setting up FastestVPN on the router.
- Setup FastestVPN on PC or Mac and use it as a Wi-Fi Hotspot.
How to Setup VPN on Roku via Router
By setting up FastestVPN on your router, every device connected to that router will share FastestVPN connection. While not every router support VPN configuration, if you own a DD-WRT or any of other router listed in this list, you simply need to follow the below instructions to setup the best VPN for Roku on Router:
- Access your router’s configuration panel on Browser using default IP (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) and login.
- Navigate to Services > VPN.
- Now follow the below method:
- Set “Start OpenVPN Client” = Enable
- Server/ IP Name: Enter your desired FastestVPN server IP address. For US-specific channels, enter this address: “us-ny-ovudp-01.jumptoserver.com”. You can also use our other OpenVPN server addresses from here.
- Set “Port”: 4443
- Set “Tunnel device”: TUN
- Set “Tunnel Protocol”: UDP
- Set “Encryption Cipher”: AES-256 CBC
- Set “Hash Algorithm”: SHA256
- Set “User Pass Authentication” = “Enable”
- Username: Enter your FastestVPN username
- Password: Enter your FastestVPN Password
- Now scroll down and select the following configuration:
- Set “Advanced Options”: Enable
- Set “TLS Cipher”: None
- Set “LZO Compression”: Adaptive
- Set “NAT”: Enable
- Set “Firewall Protection”: Enable
- Set “Tunnel UDP Fragmente”: 1450
- Set “Tunnel UDP-MSS-Fix”: Enable
- Now scroll down and enter the following text in Additional Config box:
- Go to the TSL Auth Key.
- Download the certificate data and TSL key file from here. Open it and then copy all the text between tags.
- Paste the copied text into the “TLS Auth Key” field.
- Scroll down to CA Cert box
- Copy the text between tags from the same certificate file you downloaded in above step and paste it into “CA Cert” field.
- Leave the rest of the fields as default.
- Click the Save button and then Apply Settings.
- There you go! You have setup the best VPN for Roku.
- Now connect your Roku device to the router and enjoy streaming US specific channels on Roku from anywhere.
How to Install VPN on Roku – Virtual Router Method
You can also setup the best VPN for Roku by creating a Hotspot VPN connection through your PC or Mac. All you need to do is to download and install FastestVPN on PC or Mac and then follow the instructions from below:
How to setup the best VPN for Roku using Mac hotspot:
- Open your Mac and launch FastestVPN.
- Connect to the US server.
- Go to System Preferences, then go into Sharing.
- Select Internet Sharing from the left menu.
- Set the following settings:
- Share your connection from: [FastestVPN]
- To computers using: scroll down and check the Wi-Fi box
- Now Click on the Wi-Fi Options button and enter the following details:
- Network Name: [Enter a network name of your choice]
- Channel: [default]
- Security: Set “WPA2 Personal”
- Password: [enter a password of your choice]
- Verify: [re-enter the same password]
- Click on OK.
- From the sharing menu on the left, check the Internet Sharing (A prompt will appear asking you to turn on Internet sharing).
- Hit Start.
- Once the Internet Sharing is activated, you will see a green light with the Internet Sharing set as “On” in the middle of your screen.
- Now, turn on your Roku device and go to Settings –>Network -> Wireless (Wi-Fi)
- Click on “Set up new Wi-Fi connection”
- Finally, connect to the WiFi network you’ve created on Mac.
- There you have it, enjoy unblocking US-specific TV channels with the best VPN for Roku.
How to setup the best VPN for Roku using PC hotspot:
- On your PC, launch FastestVPN and connect to the US Server.
- Now click on the search bar, type Settings and Hit enter.
- Go to Network & Internet > Mobile Hotspot and set the following details:
- Share my Internet connection from: Wi-FI
- Click on Edit
- Network Name: Enter a Network name
- Network Password: Set a Network password
- Click on Save
- Under the Share, my internet connection with other devices, turn ON button
- Wait for the windows to apply changes
- Now right-click the WiFi icon from bottom right corner of your screen and Select “Open Network and Sharing Center”.
- Go to “Change adapter settings”
- Right-click on the VPN connection you just created and click on Properties
- Go to the Sharing
- Check the box next to “Allow Other Network User to connect through this computer’s Internet connection”.
- If a confirmation popup appears, click OK
- Under “Home Networking Connection”, select the VPN Hotspot connection you’ve just created.
- Click Ok
- Now, turn on your Roku.
- Go to Settings >Network > Wireless (Wi-Fi)
- Click on “Set up new Wi-Fi connection”.
- Connect to the Hotspot network connection you have created on your Windows laptop.
- Enjoy streaming geo-restricted channels on Roku with the best VPN for Roku devices.
How to Create an American Roku Account
To enjoy US-specific apps and channels on your Roku device, you must get an American Roku account. By doing so, you will be able to access popular US streaming channels such an HBO Go, Showtime, ESPN and more on your Roku device. Simply setup FastestVPN on your PC, Mac, or Router and then follow the instructions given below to create US Roku account (if you don’t have one):
- First, connect to FastestVPN’s United States Server.
- Open browser and access https://my.roku.com/myaccount
- Click the ‘Create account’ button and fill in the required information
- Hit ‘Continue’.
- Select a Pin option and click ‘Continue’.
- Once done, you will prompt to the payment methods: PayPal or Credit/Debit Card
- If you own a PayPal account, you need to use a valid US address in order to create your American Roku account. (i.e., use California as your state and set 90210 as the zip code).
- If you choose Credit/Debit card, you will have to enter the street address associated with your credit card.
- Then select a US State (i.e. New York).
- Enter Zip Code of the State you selected (New York zip codes starts from 10001 till 10286).
- Click Save and Continue
- Once you have created your US Roku account, reset your Roku device to factory settings by going to settings > factory reset, and follow the on-screen process.
- Finally, login with your newly created US Roku account on Roku device and stream all your favorite geo-restricted US channels without any problems.
How to Create UK Roku Account
To access UK-specific apps and channels on Roku, you need to create a UK Roku account. Once you have a UK Roku account, you can enjoy UK channels like BBC iPlayer, Channel 4, ITV and more on your Roku device. All you need is to setup FastestVPN on Mac, PC, or Router and then follow this detailed guide to create your UK Roku account:
- First, connect to FastestVPN’s United Kingdom server.
- Open a browser and go to https://my.roku.com/myaccount
- Click on ‘Create account’.
- Fill in the required information and then hit ‘Continue’.
- Select a Pin option and click ‘Continue’.
- On the payment options page, choose Paypal if you have a Paypal account and enter a fake UK address when signing up. Also, use W11 2BQ as your postcode.
- Once done, reset your Roku device by going to settings > factory reset, and follow the on-screen process.
- Finally, login with your new UK Roku account and enjoy streaming geo-blocked UK TV channels with the best VPN for Roku.
There you have it! It’s not really that hard to setup a VPN on Roku once you know what you are doing. You simply need the best VPN for Roku to get unrestricted access to your favorite US and UK channels from anywhere without moving to the two countries. All you have to do is to setup FastestVPN on Roku by following any preferred method from above and you will be able to enjoy streaming on Roku like never before.